Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sore throat, itchy eyes, sneezing...

All caused by this...

      The teacher with whom I'm working and for whom I will be student teaching in the Fall has a guinea pig in her classroom.  If you know me, you know that the guinea pig is the only thing I'm knowingly allergic to.  I don't even have to touch it...if I'm in the same room, it will affect me.  I just did a little bit of research and found out one interesting fact:  it is the protein in the urine to which I'm allergic.  It's not the hair, although the guinea pig might get some of those proteins on its hair (therefore creating a rash on me if I were to ever touch it).  I never knew that!  Maybe I should tell Ray that I'm allergic to cat pee too, so I won't have to clean out the litter! Haha! TMI?  Anyway, she knows that I'm allergic, so when I'm in there for good next semester, she is going to have the guinea pig moved to another class.  For now, Tuesday after Tuesday I take my generic brand Claritin before I go to the school and take two Benadryl when I leave.  Other than leaving with a sore throat and itchy eyes, I love the school, the teacher and the students! 
        On another note, it snowed here in Asheville yesterday.  Have I mentioned that I'm tired of it?  It came down pretty hard, but the ground wasn't cold enough for it to stick.  I'm just so ready for some heat! 

3 comments:

  1. That is so weird about the guinea pig pea! I'm sick of the winter too...although you have it a lot worse. The weather needs to turn warm and stay warm! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is weird! Especially since you're not allergic to any other animals like that? I hope the Claritin helps and that it warms up there soon. Love you!

    PS. Anna, it's PEE not pea. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pea, haha! Can't thank you enough again. :)

    ReplyDelete