Monday, May 3, 2010

Home, Sweet home

My husband and I have had little debates every now and then about calling my parents' house "home."  I remember the first time I took a weekend trip after we got married to visit my family (by myself).  When I was almost to my parents' house, Ray called my cell. As we were finishing our conversation I said something like, "All right, well I'm almost home so I'll call you later!"  Though he didn't say anything about it right then, we talked later and he wittingly asked me if I did not consider our apartment my home.  Of course I feel that my home is with him, but I will always call the house that I grew up in--and lived in for the 18 years before moving to Asheville--home.  I consider it a blessing to have lived in the same city for my entire childhood, and I think that is why it is so easy for me to call it home.  Ray, on the other hand, has moved quite a few times.  (But, if he had to pick a place to call home besides where we are, he would say Raleigh - where he lived from high school through college.)  Moving a lot can also be a blessing because it provides new experiences and fresh starts.   

Anyway, I guess it would be more appropriate to call Charlotte, and my parents' house, "back home."  Right?  I definitely do call this comfortable two-bedroom apartment, in which my husband and I have lived since getting married in January 2009, my home.  And I will call the next place we live home.  But, "back home" is where I look forward to going to see familiar faces, drive without my GPS, visit with friends, play with our crazy dog Jack, sit in the kitchen with my sisters, hang out with my mom and dad and go to the places I trust for my beauty needs. ;)    



[My mom, me, and a couple of sisters and cousin getting pedicures for my wedding.]
When I go back home, this is my go-to place for a quick, cheap brow wax.  (Sadly though, different people bought the place and this past weekend they did not do such a stellar job!)  I also go back home for haircuts and ring cleanings!  

What do you call home?

2 comments:

  1. I still call Charlotte home too! Blake and I have had that same conversation...but if Mama and Daddy ever move, I think I will more likely call my own house "home" more often :) Nice pic...definitely a sick prego pic for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took that pic, and sooo knew you were preggers then, A! :)

    As for "home," I never called the condo home, I always called it the condo. Not until we moved here, did I start calling this house home. But I guess it's a little easier for me since I still live in Charlotte, and always will. :)

    A couple of weeks ago, we were at Ashley S.'s wedding, with Mama and Daddy, and I said something to Daddy about friends coming over tomorrow, to our house (meaning my house). And Daddy freaked out because he was like, "What! Who's coming over, we're not even going to be home then!" Haha, even he forgets how grown up we are, and me being the oldest too. :) Well, he blamed it on seeing the Great 8 all back together, and it made him flashback to the good old days. Kind of bittersweet. :) Come home again soon, and hopefully this time W won't be sick. :(

    ReplyDelete